Sharing and reblogging below FREE report from PinoyInvestor. Below is a broker analysis and recommendation from their partner, AP Securities, on the banking sector, as of end of May2018. Caveat emptor. These are not my recommendations, but theirs, but personally, worth taking a look, hence I’m sharing them here, especially with the run the PSEi has had the past few days. Here we go:
Financial and Banking Sector Outlook
The financial index has lost 18% of its value since the PSEi peaked last January 29, and is also down 17% as of end May. Aside from the fact that 1Q 2018 earnings disappointed due to the drop in trading gains and higher expenses, the large banks were also one of the leaders in the index rally to 9,000. It is no surprise, therefore, that the ongoing lack of confidence in the equities market has spread to banking stocks.
Return on Equity (ROE) Deteriorates
Other than lower trading gains, the key culprit to lower ROE of the industry is the large capital-raising made by BPI and MBT this year, with EW, UBP, and RCB set to follow. Historically, it takes about 2-3 years for the big banks to fully deploy the capital into loans. This means that it will take time before sector ROE recovers.
Since the start of the year, we were bullish on banks, and we are keeping our overweight view (albeit with lower Target Prices) as we believe that our investment theses were not impaired by the 1Q 2018 miss in estimates.
We remain a BUY on the Banking Sector because:
- 1Q 2018 loan growth has been strong at 18% despite higher rates, and we see net interest margins expanding in the next quarters;
- Growth is coming from the lending business leading to more sustainable and quality earnings
- The sector de-rating paves the way for positive surprises going forward; and
- The correction has led to more attractive valuations, with the financial index trading below the 5-year mean.
We prefer to buy the following banks on weakness:
- Metrobank (PSE: MBT) – Buy, Target Price: PHP 95.00
- Banco de Oro (PSE: BDO) – Buy, Target Price: PHP 150.00
- Philippine National Bank (PSE: PNB) – Buy, Target Price: PHP 67.50
Get reports like this for FREE. Just sign-up in PinoyInvestor.
Likewise, join our free Pinoy Richer Life newsletter by encoding your email below:
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Download your copy of #10Steps to a Richer Life book. Read more details here.
May you have a richer life!